Visitors

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Learning to get public information at the very place that won’t give me all the info I want #theatershooting #ire



It feels ironic that I’m sitting at the University of Colorado Denver in an Investigative Reporters and Editors conference learning how to request data and turn stories other reporters don’t.

I’ve spent the majority of my time this week trying to get information from the same university about the theater shooting.  My success rate: <5%.  

There is a gag order issued by a judge. That means the university can’t comment on the shooter.

HOWEVER: I wish the university would do an interview with me about how they deal with “troubled” students/staff. I do not believe that is covered by the gag order.  (So far, they have issued press releases. Here is one.) They get credit for that, but I think viewers deserve and need more.

A public university should answer to its citizens.

There are indications that it may do more in the future and I look forward to that.

Information making its way to the public is important. I hope my success rate increases next week.