Visitors

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Meeting ponzi schemer Shawn Merriman


From the cul-de-sac in front of his Arapahoe County house, I couldn’t miss the U-haul parked near the garage. His 3,115 square foot million dollar house sit about 50 feet back from the street.

I called out hello. No one answered back. I peeked around the back of the U-haul, nothing. Nothing after a knock at the front door.

“Was he hiding from me? Most likely,” I thought. “I’ll gave it one more try.”

I walked back to the U-haul offering more loud, friendly hellos.

All of a sudden there was Shawn Merriman.


It’s always a bit odd when you cover someone for months having never met them and then meet face to face.

Shawn is shorter than I expected but was very pleasant.

He didn’t yell at me to leave, he didn’t walk away.

We chatted for a few minutes and I offered him a chance to tell his side of the story. He declined.

I asked if he was moving. I probably should have asked WHERE he was moving. (People don’t really pack up their stuff just for the fun of it.) He didn’t want to tell me.

Maybe it was because he knew what I didn’t yet know… his next home would not be exciting.

Wednesday a federal judge ordered him held in jail while he faces a charge of mail fraud. Click here to read the story.

Should he have to go to jail while he waits for his charges to be worked out? Vote in the poll to the right.

Follow me on Twitter: jacelarson